HISTORY - Dominican Nuns Ireland

Go to content

HISTORY

Founded 1722.
Spread out beneath the hilltop on the Twenties, the town of Drogheda is marked out at night by its shimmering borders as the lights of the town spring to life - a constant reminder to us to pray for the needs or our people and all those in similar towns and cities in our country and throughout the world.

Our present location in the Twenties is the community’s fourth home in Drogheda since our foundation by Mother Catherine Plunkett (a relative of St Oliver Plunkett) in 1722. The first was a little hut on the banks of the river Boyne before the move to Dyer Street a few years later. The next change, as their numbers increased, was to Siena Convent, Chord Road, where the community lived from 1796 until 1994 when a fire forced another move. In the aftermath of the fire, as permission to demolish and rebuild on site was refused, it was necessary to seek another location which eventually led to the establishment of the community in the Twenties in 1997.
For the full history of our monastery,
you can purchase a copy of
The Siena Story
by Fr Desmond Forristal.
The Siena Story
Card Dept
The history of the Monastery of St Catherine of Siena (founded 1722), by Fr Desmond Forristal.

A5 size Non-Fiction Book
100pgs
€ 3.50
Add
Monastery of St Catherine of Siena
The Twenties,
Drogheda,
Co, Louth,
A92 KR84
Ireland.







Telephone: 041 - 983 8524
Charities Registration No.: 20010300
©2024 , Dominican Nuns Ireland. All rights reserved. (Created with Incomedia WebSite X5.)
Back to content